Sunday 18 November 2012

AFTER MANZONI


I stumbled across this work by Piero Manzoni whilst working at the library. It was featured in an issue of 'A' magazine. I was on a shift so, desperate not to lose the page, I tore off a piece of black sugar paper and imbedded it between the leaves of the journal. When I could finally get round to photocopying it, the black paper became dislodged, obscuring Manzoni's image. Through sheer fluke I had created my own void, making the resulting print ironically apt. In my drawing the black shape appears to hover, as if raised on a higher plane than Manzoni's panels, but this is exactly how it appeared in the original print. I started to wonder if this is effectively what we all do when viewing an image or an object that arrests us. Do we project our voids onto unsuspecting objects in the external, or do these objects really evoke and attest to something internal? Like catalysts, do these 'triggers' partially illuminate that undecipherable zone in the recesses of our being?     



No comments:

Post a Comment