Thursday 22 November 2012

TECHNICAL, MECHANICAL, IMITATION

I was slated in a crit four days ago and have since felt despondent and devoid of motivation. I was initially hit with a three-pronged spear: "The work is just technical, mechanical, imitation, that's the highest form you can take it to." "Where's the personalizing of the image?" followed shortly; after which I was swiftly body bagged by "they're just half-hearted attempts to take the image". Everyone must endure criticism for their work and I am no exception, this I have accepted. But my adversary seemed to adopt great airs as he did so, reveling in the entire tirade with sumptuous, sadistic delight.  
        My work is not brash, or brazen. It does not scandalize, nor offend. I like to think it has a quiet power, like those who lead lives of unremembered kindness, who are no less important for not being recognized, nor their attributes cheapened for not being glorified. I draw from the repertoire of images that I am immersed in, that we have created, fishing for moments of personal reverie amongst the collective. I draw these 'copies' because by drawing the image I can consume it anew- immerse myself in its contours, it's tonal scale, its mathematics. I scour its fragments, trace its every angle in order to replicate it, to know it, to possess it. I do not comply with the notion that because of this, the drawings cannot invite contemplation. That they are somehow lesser than 'proper' works of art. 

Below is the drawing I made after the crit, it was the promo image for a student photography exhibition flier. I think it may need more work, I'm not quite happy with it yet.

 


 

       

No comments:

Post a Comment